Diabetic eye surgery OKC can help improve vision that has been impacted by diabetic eye disease. There are many procedures for this; to determine which is best for you, your eye doctor or surgeon will consider the specific type of diabetic eye disease you have.
The Types of Diabetic Eye Disease
“Diabetic Eye Disease” is a group of conditions that often affect individuals with diabetes. These conditions include diabetic retinopathy, cataracts, and glaucoma.
This can occur when the vessels in your retina are damaged due to high blood sugar. It may cause fluids to leak into the retina, obstructing blood flow and potentially causing blindness. The major types of diabetic retinopathy are non-proliferative and proliferative.
Your eye’s natural lens can become yellow, hard, and cloudy as you age. These lenses are then known as “cataracts,” and they can severely obstruct your vision. While anyone can develop cataracts, individuals with diabetes may get them earlier than average.
This condition progressively damages the optic nerve, which can lead to blindness. The strongest risk factor is elevated eye pressure. If you have diabetes, your risk is almost doubled. The two major types of this condition are open-angle and angle-closure.
The Types of Diabetic Eye Surgery OKC
Diabetic Retinopathy Treatment
Depending on the severity, your surgeon may recommend surgery (vitrectomy) or a non-invasive procedure (laser treatment) for your diabetic retinopathy. Laser Therapy can effectively reduce the risk of vision loss. Instead of directly operating on your eyes, a surgeon will utilize a bright and highly focused laser light to treat specific parts of your retinas. You may also receive injections to reduce swelling of the macula.
Cataract Surgery OKC
For this treatment, your surgeon will make a micro-incision in your eye, through which the cataract is removed. An Intraocular Lens (IOL) is then implanted through the same incision to replace the natural lens. Your surgeon will consider your unique vision needs to determine which IOL is best for your cataract surgery OKC. The types of lenses include:
- Monofocal: to enhance vision at one set distance.
- Bifocal: to improve eyesight at two distances.
- Trifocal: to provide clear vision at three distances.
- Accommodating: a lens that changes focus based on eye muscle movement.
- Toric: a lens that can restore distance vision and correct astigmatism.
Glaucoma Treatment OKC
There are incision and laser surgical procedures for glaucoma. These glaucoma treatment OKC options include:
- Durysta: a small implant placed in the eye that releases medications to maintain eye pressure.
- Microinvasive Glaucoma Surgery: small incisions are made to improve your eye’s natural outflow pathway.
- Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty: a laser stimulates specific pigmented cells to increase fluid drainage.
- Cyclophotocoagulation: a laser alters fluid-forming cells so they naturally produce less fluid.
- Tube shunts: a flexible plastic tube with a silicone pouch is placed in the eyes to help drain fluid.
Treat Your Diabetic Eye Disease with BVA
The leading eye doctors and surgeons at BVA are here to help our patients find better vision ahead. Please get in touch to meet with us at one of our locations in the Oklahoma City Metro. We can determine and provide the ideal treatment for your unique vision needs.